Bestselling author Joe Konrath goes on a beer fast for thirty days to lose weight.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 10

I had really low energy yesterday after the workout, and that held over to this morning. I was in poor spirits, had muddied thoughts, and pretty much felt like I'd just gotten over the flu.

Then I started drinking water. A lot of water.

Magically, my energy returned and my mind cleared.

Dehydration is a bitch.

So now my spirits are back up. I'm still at 249 pounds, even though I'm in ketosis. My guess is I'm losing fat but am replenishing the water weight I lost.

I'll post more video soon. It's hard to juggle two blogs, a career, and making a documentary while also doing this insane diet, so I'm behind in pretty much everything. But I feel good.

Took a brisk 1.5 mile walk today, and had a euphoric sensation that matches the definition of "runner's high." When I stopped walking, it oddly felt like my body was still moving forward. Kind of a cool experience.

Hear that, kids? You don't need drugs to feel good. You can get the same feeling by not eating any food for ten days then walking for half an hour. Wouldn't that be fun at your next rave?

I'm getting my blood test results tomorrow, so I can go into detail how much I'm ruining my body. Then I've got another workout.

I'm 1/3 of the way through this. And the one thing that has kept me going is the support of you, the strangers reading my blog.

Ha! Just kidding. The one thing that has kept me going is masturbation. Maybe that's why I'm so dehydrated.

Stool report: Do you know how when squids get frightened the shoot a big cloud of ink? That's pretty much where I'm at.


13 comments:

  1. All right! Glad to see you're up and in better spirits. Let the 30 day beer diet continue! (pending bloodwork!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masturbation? Yikes!
    Squid-ink-fire-hose? Double yikes!

    The one question I have to ask is: How is your writing going? It sounds like it is not going well. At least that is how I am interpreting your posts of the last few days.

    I mean, I certainly get the whole want to lose weight thing, and I have tried a low-carb diet and a vegetarian diet, and could not sustain either one. I felt like crap (not squid crap, but crap) on those diets, and my energy was low and I could not write - and that is my "job" too.

    I finally found that the answer for me was to start seriously trail running. If you do a consistent five or six mile trail run three times a week or more, you can eat pretty well and drink some beers too.

    Once you finish the 30 Day Squid-ink fire-hose diet, look into obsessive trail running. That may be the only way to keep the weight off and still drink beer. Just an idea.

    That said, you can do this for 20 more days. You've come this far. Unless the doc says to stop early, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work. If you succeed, my girlfriend says she'll let me try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best guess, when you get on the scale tomorrow, you'll be down 5 lbs. Got a feeling, I have.

    Hope the blood tests are okay. I think this beer diet is crazy, but then I don't like beer.

    Take care of yourself, Joe.
    EC Sheedy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a complete nutter Joe. But this is weirdly compelling and as a student of book marketing, I think you've nailed this one. I see another $100k from your beer diet book - have you considered a range of home brew you could market along side it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Told ya to drink your water! Glad you're back on track. Keep your fingers flying on the keyboard and your spincter tight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Weirdly compelling" is exactly how I'd describe this blog. I can't look away, maybe because I've felt anxious about this crazy experiment from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an inspiration to us all! I only wish I could get the awesome beers you blog about. Where I live, Ottawa Ontario, our government has a tight grip on the nut-sacks of micro brewers and every drop of booze is sold through a government outlet - the LCBO. (AKA El Cibo, my mexican drinking buddy)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe you could be a new superhero
    Inkman!
    A new superhero for a new age.
    What he lacks in super powers he make up in intestinal,aahhh, "fortitude"

    Molested by a mutant squid while floating in the ocean, not so mild manners Joe Konrath....

    Sorry, I had to stop the mental images were getting to be to much for me

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzcEG_JoVuo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe ... It's Thursday ... You're okay, right?

    TK

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was gonna say, I'm not following your blog because I support what you're doing. I just want to see if you survive.

    Also, note to self: do not eat whilst reading this blog. RE: poop like squid ink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All my poop is like squid ink. I really need to stop pooping in the swimming pool...

    ReplyDelete