Bestselling author Joe Konrath goes on a beer fast for thirty days to lose weight.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 6 - Part 1

Slept well, but woke up early--around 5am. Spent the morning editing my workout routine from the day before (see my previous post). Now I'm having my breakfast, an Orchard White by The Bruery. It's made with wheat, oats, and spices, and is 5.7% abv. It's a crisp, Belgian-style ale, and is just so pretty I had to take a picture of it.


Tastes great, too.

The plan today is to visit one of the best liquor stores in the state and do a little shopping. Naturally, I'll bring the camcorder along.

Overall I feel fine. My muscles are sore, but they always are after exercising. I'm a bit low energy, but I'm happy, and I'm not hungry.

I really did expect more hunger on this diet. But so far I haven't been seriously tempted by food. And while my stomach does rumble occasionally, I'm not feeling weak or light-headed or nauseous or any of the other symptoms normally associated with being hungry.

I also haven't had a single headache so far, and that also surprises me. Beer has given me a few headaches in the past. I've also gotten headaches when I've gone too long without eating. But even though I'm drinking beer and haven't had any food, no headaches at all.

Stool report - It's official. I no longer have an ass. I have a squirt gun that shoots out brownie mix. But what I'm lacking in bulk I'm making up for in frequency. Went twice this morning, and will probably go again.

Maybe it would make life easier if instead of shopping for beer today, I went shopping for diapers...

5 comments:

  1. "Maybe it would make life easier if instead of shopping for beer today, I went shopping for diapers.." Joe that had me chortling out loud. You will have to write all of this up in a non fiction book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, keep it up! There are many of us rooting for you on the sidelines.

    Think you might take a cognitive test and see if you can still do your times tables?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,

    I like the open letter was informative. Will you be shopping for unfiltered beers? Ummm... Hefewisen. :)

    Good luck,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hunger is likely from just dropping too many calories, not even the lack of solids. I just fear for your metabolism. If you're only drinking five-ish beers a day, that's a huge drop from a normal diet calorie wise. Generally not good to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe said:
    Maybe it would make life easier if instead of shopping for beer today, I went shopping for diapers.

    It all Depends.

    ReplyDelete